Wednesday 18 October 2017

Paul Simon:I won't record with Garfunkel again

Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel
Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel

Hannah Furness

Paul Simon will never record with former partner Art Garfunkel again because he does not want to "go back and visit the past".

The singer-songwriter does not want to re-visit his musical history and would instead prefer to get on with “quietly making new music”, he said.



A problem with Garfunkel’s vocal chords had left him unable to sing in his mid-range, making the question a “moot point”, he added.



His comments, made during an interview with BBC Radio 4’s Today Programme, will be a disappointment for fans who had hoped the Sound of Silence duo would reunite to record again.



The pair have already have bestselling albums including their last studio venture Bridge over Troubled Water, released in 1970 shortly before they split.



The record, which was delayed due to disputes between the two artists, went on to win five Grammy Awards, including Record of the Year.



In 1981, the pair reunited for a free concert in Central Park, New York, before embarking on a world tour. They last performed together in 2009, at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary celebrations in New York.



It is now 25 years since Simon released his solo album Graceland, which has sold more than 14 million copies worldwide.



On the topic of recording together again, Garfunkel has said previously: “You’ll have to ask him, it takes two to tango.



“I like to tango, so count me in. You’ll just have to bring a psychiatrist in as the third member.”



Today, told by BBC arts correspondent Rebecca Jones she had recently interviewed Art Garfunkel, Simon replied: "Uh oh."



Asked whether they would record together again, Simon said: “There are a couple of issues. One, Art has some problem with his vocal chords and he can’t sing in his mid range.



“So it’s really a moot point unless he can sing. From my own perspective, I would just as soon not go back and visit the past.



“I feel the same way about Graceland. I’m happy to celebrate this 25th anniversary and we’re going to play a few concerts but I’d just as soon be quietly making new music.”



Speaking about his controversial decision to record with musicians in South Africa during the apartheid regime, he said he had been “uninformed” about the possible fallout.



He said: “I went to South Africa because that’s where the musicians were, that’s where the music was. I felt that it was probably fine.



“I don’t think I was naïve. I think I was uninformed. If the album hadn’t been a gigantic hit it wouldn’t have invited this kind of attack.



“I think if anyone had said to me the African National Congress was insistent that you not go, I probably wouldn’t have gone.



“But there was no objection to the record of Graceland. There was an objection, well after the fact, to where it was recorded.



"So if there’s anything naïve about it it’s that I didn’t double check. But I didn’t feel like double checking because quite honestly I wanted to go and record with those musicians.”

Telegraph.co.uk

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment