Sunday 30 April 2017

Original Sugababes bid for name

Mutya Buena applied to use the name Sugababes
Mutya Buena applied to use the name Sugababes

Mutya Buena, Keisha Buchanan and Siobhan Donaghy are trying to claim the rights to the name Sugababes.

The original line-up of the chart act have applied to register the name with the European Union's trademark office OHIM.

The trio have now been replaced in the line-up after gradually leaving at different times over the past decade.

Siobhan was the first to go in 2001, with Mutya next in 2005 and finally Keisha was ousted last year.

Sugababes, which has gained a reputation for its revolving-door line-up, now features Heidi Range, Jade Ewen and Amelle Berrabah.

Papers submitted to OHIM show the girls want to take ownership of the name for recordings, merchandise and live performances.

When Keisha left a statement on behalf of the group said: "The current line-up of the Sugababes has disbanded."

In an interview with the Press Association last week the latest incarnation of the group said there had never been any question that they should take a new name.

Mutya originally submitted a trademark application in November and new papers have added the names of Keisha and Siobhan.

Press Association

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment