No Slane concert this year -- but Lord Henry drops hints for 2011
LORD Henry Mount Charles dropped a bombshell on music fans yesterday when he announced there will be no pop concert at Slane Castle this year.
"If everything had fallen into place, I would have had a concert this year because I think people in this country really need a lift but things didn't feel right. I am very sorry but that is the decision that has been made," he said.
Lord Mount Charles said that he was confident that a concert would take place next year -- the 30th anniversary of Slane Castle being used as a major concert venue.
He said he had pencilled in August 28 for a 2010 concert but had reluctantly decided this week that it would not now take place.
Among the acts that were being touted as possibilities for a concert this year were Kings of Leon and AC/DC.
The concert promoter said that he had taken heed of a 12,700-strong facebook campaign in favour of Kings of Leon as possible headliners.
"I have paid attention to that and I am still paying attention to that," he said, hinting that they are among the acts being considered for Slane 2011, the year in which he will also celebrate his 60th birthday.
Last year's Slane concert, headlined by Oasis, was marred by transport problems after the sell-out concert, prompting a review of security arrangements and transport.
Lord Mount Charles added that he had made decisions in the past not to hold concerts.
"I was offered Bon Jovi at one stage and I turned them down because on that particular year I didn't feel it was right," he told Marian Finucane yesterday.
Meanwhile, there are plans to hold a series of open-air concerts over the bank holiday August weekend at Lissadell House, the ancestral home of 1916 heroine Countess Constance Markievicz in Co Sligo.
Leonard Cohen is said be to among the potential performers, although the organisers have said that no acts have yet been booked.
Concert promoters POD have given notice that they intend to apply for an event licence before the end of next week to stage four concerts between July 30 and August 2.
Preparations are being made to accommodate up to 10,000 people each night.
The organisers have written to Sligo county councillors outlining proposals. They say if the shows get the go-ahead they will end at 11pm each night. Preliminary talks have already taken place with gardai.