Thursday 23 October 2014

No charges for Swift 'trespasser'

Published 28/12/2012 | 10:35

Prosecutors won't pursue a charge against a man who allegedly trespassed at Taylor Swift's home

Prosecutors will not pursue a criminal trespassing charge against a man who allegedly climbed a fence at a Nashville home linked to Taylor Swift and claimed he was her boyfriend.

Jacob Kulke, of Wisconsin, will remain in jail in Nashville as he is fighting extradition to Colorado for probation violation. He did not appear in court during his hearing on Thursday.

The 24-year-old was arrested on December 14 after climbing a fence and a gate at a home that has been publicly linked to the Love Story singer.

The affidavit said Kulke claimed he was in contact with a person at the home through social media. He said he was dating her and it was her birthday and he wanted to surprise her.

Taylor was overseas at the time and her spokeswoman has previously declined to comment on the case.

Sean McKinney, Kulke's attorney, said on Thursday that prosecutors discussed the decision not to prosecute with representatives for the pop star.

He said Kulke is not guilty of the trespassing charge and said that his client was tricked by someone into believing that he was communicating with the star. Kulke told police he rode a bus to Nashville from Wisconsin, and then took a taxi to the home.

"It is the defence's position that he was misled by someone else," McKinney said. "Mr Kulke had reasonable belief that he was invited on to the premises."

Assistant District Attorney Tali Rosenblum said Kulke has already spent 13 days in jail and the trespassing charge is a misdemeanour that carries a maximum 30-day sentence. She said they wanted to resolve the charge in Tennessee so that authorities could extradite him to Colorado.

"Mr Kulke is looking for his 15 minutes of fame and he got all he deserved," Rosenblum said.

Press Association

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment