Take That musical will happen within five years - Gary Barlow
Published 14/04/2015 | 14:02
Gary Barlow has revealed he has plans to stage a Take That musical within the next five years.
“The Take That musical has got to happen. I think it’s a great story. I watched Jersey Boys and it’s not too dissimilar to our story. I would love to get that on stage,” he told The Sun.
Barlow (44) refused to back the unofficial Take That musical, Never Forget, back in 2007, but now he feels better equipped to stage one himself.
This is down to the fact that recently he has been compiling the score for Finding Neverland, a stage musical based on the 2004 Johnny Depp film.
“I understand it a bit better now," he said. "I think the West End, Broadway and musicals felt like a different art form and I wasn’t qualified. I didn’t know enough about it.
“But now I’ve been put in a big arena here [New York]. If given a chance to do it I would take it on now, definitely. We’ve got 25 years of music so the hard bit is done. I’d look to put it on a stage in the next five years.”
Finding Neverland will debut on Broadway on Wednesday and will move to London next year.
Take That formed in 1990 with original members Barlow, Jason Orange, Mark Owen, Howard Donald, and Robbie Wiliams. Williams left in 1995 but they continued as a foursome until 1996.
In 2006 they re-formed (sans Williams) but Orange left last year although they have continued to perform as a trio.