Monday 29 December 2014

Brooks unwilling to drop 'consecutive element' of five concerts

Published 15/07/2014 | 10:34

Country music star Garth BraCountry music star Garth Brooks speaks at a news conference ooks speaks at a news conference on Thursday, July 10, 2014, in Nashville, Tenn. Brooks, one of the last musicians to refuse put his music on iTunes, said he will make his songs available digitally though his own website. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey)
Country music star Garth Brooks speaks at a news conference

A PROPOSAL to play two additional Croke Park concerts at a later date was rejected by Garth Brooks in the early hours of this morning.

Independent.ie can reveal that the plan was put to the singer's management team by junior minister for Foreign Affairs Joe Costello.

Mr Costello had earlier discussed the proposal - which would see Brooks return in October or the Spring of 2015 - with Dublin City Manager Owen Keegan.

The so-called 'Costello proposal' was communicated to Mr Brooks' management team after midnight but was rejected outright, sources have confirmed.

The singer's representatives insisted that they are not willing to lose the "consecutive element" attached to performing five concerts in a row later this month.

But the fact that Mr Keegan appears to have given the green light to the plan suggests that the greatest level of resistance came from the Brooks camp.

"There was an olive branch extended from the Irish side. But Brooks' people were adamant that coming back was not a runner," a source explained.

The City Manager was due to appear in front of the Oireachtas Communications Committee today to discuss the sequence of events leading up to the fiasco.

Sources close to the talks claimed today that Mr Keegan dismissed outright any prospect of the five concerts going ahead.

"These were highly frustrating talks and certainly nobody has come out of this smelling of roses," said one negotiator.

As revealed by Independent.ie, former Labour Relations Chief Kieran Mulvey was drafted in to broker the talks.

It's understood that Mr Mulvey made a number of proposals aimed at ensuring the concerts went ahead but failed to secure agreement from all sides.

Some members of the negotiation team were taken aback last night after Mr Brooks released a statement confirming that all five gigs were off.

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment