Mercury Prize returns to BBC
Published 08/07/2015 | 11:36
The Mercury Prize is returning to the BBC after the end of its three-year deal with Channel 4 with its organisers promising a "move away from its traditional awards show event".
The music industry bash, won last year by Edinburgh h ip hop trio Young Fathers, will be extended to include studio sessions with all 12 shortlisted acts.
Other winners of the prestigious £20,000 prize include James Blake, Alt-J, Pulp, Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand.
The shortlist is unveiled on October 16 on Radio 6 Music with the winner being named on November 20 with coverage promised on BBC Four as well as radio.
A spokesman for the award, covered for many years by the BBC before its move to Channel 4, said: " In what the Mercury Prize believes will herald the start of an exciting new era ahead of next year's 25th anniversary landmark, 2015 will see the Prize move away from its traditional awards show event to work with the BBC to deliver even greater reach and more premium quality music content across its platforms."
Its managing director Dan Ford said the partnership with the BBC would help extend the prize's relevance to " a new generation of music fans for years to come".
Its current host Lauren Laverne, who presents a show on 6 Music, said she "couldn't be happier" to be involved in this year's awards.