Kasabian to headline Isle Of Wight
Published 18/11/2010 | 11:10
Kasabian will close the Isle Of Wight Festival, it has been announced.
The Leicestershire four-piece have been given the slot taken in previous years by Sir Paul McCartney, Coldplay, David Bowie and the Rolling Stones.
John Giddings, the festival promoter, said: "We wanted the kings of rock 'n' roll every night for our 10th birthday and the choices were obvious. Kasabian have reignited UK rock music and taken the mantle - long may they reign. It will be a riotous crowd-pleasing end to the weekend and I think that Jimi Hendrix would approve of our choices."
The current series of festivals on the Isle Of Wight follows in the tradition of the legendary events held on the island in the late 1960s and early 1970s which included guitar legend Jimi's penultimate performance before his death in September 1970 at the age of 27.
Other bands already announced for the event, which will celebrate its 10th anniversary next summer, are Foo Fighters, Kings Of Leon and the newly reformed Pulp.
John Giddings, the man behind the June 10-12 festival, which takes place at Seaclose Park, Newport, said his event had "come of age" and no longer needed to rely on heritage acts.
He said: "We have had the Beatles (Paul McCartney) and the Stones and I came to the answer that for our 10th anniversary we should come into the 21st Century and grow up. I loved Jay-Z, The Strokes and Paul McCartney last year but I did not want a direct comparison.
"The Foo Fighters and Kings Of Leon are the two biggest rock bands around at the moment and Kasabian have taken up the mantle from Oasis now that they've split up - these are the bands of the future."
He added: "I would love to get Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd; I ask Bob Dylan every year but he never replies. However, there will still be an act on the Sunday afternoon and the Saturday evening in the Big Top which people of my generation will want to listen to."