Monday 26 June 2017

Guns N' Roses return to capital

Axl Rose: coming back two years after controversial gig
Axl Rose: coming back two years after controversial gig

Ken Sweeney Entertainment Editor

THEY are coming back, but promoters have already warned they might not be on stage on time.

Two years after a controversial concert, heavy metal band Guns N' Roses will again perform in Dublin.

The group, led by singer Axl Rose, caused chaos in September 2010 when they walked off stage 22 minutes into a sold-out concert at the O2.

Thousands were already fuming after the band arrived late on stage.

But halfway through their second song of the night, Rose stopped singing after a bottle was thrown.

He warned the crowd the band would walk off if another bottle was thrown.

Three songs later, they did just that when another missile landed on the stage.

The move forced Denis Desmond, the head of MCD Promotions, in charge of managing the event, to appeal for calm.

Fans were forced to wait another 40 minutes until the band finally re-emerged at 11.30pm and then played until just before 1am.

"I must say I am very surprised Guns N' Roses are coming back," RTE broadcaster Dave Fanning told the Irish Independent.

However, promoters MCD said last night that it had been the group's wish to return to Ireland in May.

"The band wanted to come back to Dublin. There is a chance they will go on late, but it will be an amazing show."

The new date on May 17 comes 20 years and a day after Guns N' Roses headlined Slane Castle on May 16, 1992. Tickets, priced from €65.45, go on sale on February 3 at 9am.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment