Eurovision selection process backed
Published 14/05/2013 | 00:26
Eurovision Song Contest broadcaster Ken Bruce says it was a mistake to give the public the chance to select the entry for the singing competition.
Unlike this year's singer, Bonnie Tyler, previous contenders such as Josh Dubovie and Jade Ewen represented Britain after winning a public vote.
But the Radio 2 presenter, who is hosting the station's coverage of the contest on Saturday, said: "It's better at the moment we don't give the choice of UK entry to the public. Sometimes there's a devilment in the public, thinking, 'I'm not going to vote for that because I know it's the one they want'.
"Instead, they vote for the most obvious Euro-kitsch song. We need to put in a song that we can say, 'Yes, that's a good song, with a professional singer'."
The broadcaster told the Radio Times: "I see my role as totally partial - the UK are supposed to win. It would be terrible if I weren't allowed to be partial and if people don't vote for us who I think should. Like last year, Malta didn't vote for us, and I said, 'Right, well, we'll have the George Cross back'. You vote for us because we're good people."
The DJ attributed his successful weekday Radio 2 show - which has 8.1 million listeners - to poor quality daytime TV.
"To be frank with you, daytime TV is so rubbish, we do very well as a result, I'm sure," he told the magazine. "If they suddenly put something great on the telly, then I'd be worried."
Press AssociationFollow @IndoEnts