Drake doubles down at Wireless
Published 04/07/2015 | 08:06
Drake wooed a sold-out crowd of fans with his affection for London when he closed Wireless Festival for the second time this summer.
The Canadian hip-hop artist said his performance at Finsbury Park was "one of my favourite nights I've ever had" and told the 40,000 people: "This is the best crowd I've ever seen in my life."
It was his second appearance at the festival after he played the headline spot last Sunday when organisers added an extra date to celebrate 10 years of the event.
The crowd went wild as the sun set and Drake brought on stage long-term friend and Tottenham-born grime artist Skepta.
There was also a surprise appearance from fellow Canadian singer PartyNextDoor who celebrated his birthday on stage.
Despite being 15 minutes late, Drake had the crowd bowled over as they rapped and jumped along with him to his most popular tracks Started From The Bottom, All Me, Take Care and Hold On, We're Going Home.
After pulling out of the festival last year, he clearly felt he had some making up to do and repeatedly professed his love for London.
He told the crowd: "London is like my second home," "I feel like I'm in the park with my family" and "I do say this a lot but tonight I mean it, this is my favourite crowd."
The rapper and singer, who performed in front of a jungle-themed set and ended with a fireworks display, said he would be staying in London for another week or two to work on his next album.
Other hit performances at the festival came from London artists Ms Dynamite and Lethal Bizzle, both famous for their albums released in the early 2000s.
Duke Dumont and Nero also pulled in huge crowds at the festival, which traditionally attracts a younger audience.
The festival will reopen today to another sell-out crowd with performances from Kendrick Lamar and Mary J Blige ahead of headliner Avicii.
Tomorrow David Guetta will close the weekend after performances from Nicki Minaj, Jessie J and Clean Bandit.
Dozens of people gatecrashed the festival yesterday after they forced open gates and overwhelmed staff.
Mobile phone footage which has been watched more than one million times shows a group stampeding in to the festival after busting the gates open.
Two staff who were attempting to keep the group out of the festival eventually gave up as it became clear they were in danger of being trampled on.
A spokesman for Wireless Festival said: "This was an isolated incident that was dealt with quickly where no-one was hurt and the perpetrators were removed on an otherwise hugely successful first day.
"Organisers of Wireless Festival take security very seriously and work closely with ShowSec Security, local police and other agencies to put procedures in place to ensure the event maintains an enjoyable and secure environment for all its customers."