Cyrus a karaoke favourite for 2013
Published 09/12/2013 | 00:12
Miley Cyrus has taken a wrecking ball to her rivals after her number one hit was named the most sung song of the year by a karaoke website.
The US singer saw off competition from stars including Katy Perry and Carly Rae Jepsen to top the poll.
Wrecking Ball was the most popular choice of the more than 8,000 songs sung around 3.5 million times on Lucky Voice Online Karaoke with 6.2 per cent of the votes.
Katy was second choice with Roar getting 5.4 per cent, while Psy's 2012 hit Gangnam Style proved its staying power coming third with a 4.2 per cent share of the vote from thousands of amateur singers.
Adele was the fifth most popular with Someone Like You (3.6 per cent) - a step down from last year when she had three songs in the top 10.
There was still room for a couple of karaoke classics with Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi in the top 10.
Lucky Voice managing director N ick Thistleton said: "We are witnessing a total trend shift in what people are choosing to sing. Adele, who has previously maintained a firm foothold in the Lucky Voice chart, has slipped in popularity and songs which weren't released until the late summer have quickly become firm favourites.
"Meanwhile, all the other songs in the charts are by contemporary artists such as One Direction, leaving Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi to be the only song to represent the old guard of karaoke".
:: The 10 most popular karaoke songs of 2013
1. Wrecking Ball - Miley Cyrus (6.2 per cent)
2. Roar - Katy Perry (5.4 per cent)
3. Gangnam Style - Psy (4.2 per cent)
4. Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen (4.1 per cent)
5. Someone Like You - Adele (3.6 per cent)
6. What Makes You Beautiful - One Direction (3.1 per cent)
7. Firework - Katy Perry (2.1 per cent)
8. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (2.0 per cent)
9. Blurred Lines - Robin Thicke Feat. TI & Pharrell (1.8 per cent)
10. Livin' On A Prayer - Bon Jovi (1.6 per cent)