independent

Sunday 20 April 2014

Star Wars origins movies planned

Yoda could feature in a Star Wars origins film

Disney has confirmed that its planned Star Wars spin-off movies will be origins tales.

The studio had already announced it would be making a new trilogy of films, starting with JJ Abrams' eagerly anticipated Episode VII, and a set of standalone movies.

According to Variety, it has now been revealed that the standalone films will be origins tales, sparking speculation that they will focus on much-loved supporting characters such as Yoda.

Walt Disney Co chief financial officer Jay Rasulo apparently spilled the beans at an investor conference in the US, revealing that one Star Wars trilogy film or origin story film would be released each year, starting with Episode VII in 2015.

Meanwhile, it has been reported that original star Mark Hamill has started training for Episode VII, apparently adding weight to rumours he will be back as Luke Skywalker.

It has not been confirmed that Mark and the franchise's other stars Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher will return but the trio have all been said to have been in negotiations and in March Star Wars creator George Lucas - who sold his company Lucasfilm to Disney in a £2.5 billion deal last year - let slip to Business Week that the original cast members were on board.

Now Mark's actor friend Robert Englund has apparently confirmed the star will be back.

Speaking at the Nashville Comic Expo, he said: "Mark now - they've got Mark in the gym, because Mark's coming back as Luke Skywalker. They've got him doing his sit ups."

Press Association

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Top Stories

Most Read

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News