Saturday 23 September 2017

Stallone: Arnie was my big rival

Sylvester Stallone says he and Arnold Schwarzenegger had been talking about working together for years before it actually happened
Sylvester Stallone says he and Arnold Schwarzenegger had been talking about working together for years before it actually happened

Sylvester Stallone has revealed that he used to view Arnold Schwarzenegger as competition.

The two action men are joining forces again for action-thriller The Tomb, following their previous reunion on The Expendables.

"We're just a couple of old war horses talking about the oddest subjects on the planet. I think in the beginning we were competitive - there's no question about it," he told Entertainment Tonight.

"A little alpha territorial. And then we realised it was good for our careers [to work together]."

Arnie added: "The funny thing is we have tried, I think, our entire careers to always work together. We have talked about it for three decades and it never happened. I think we tried maybe too hard... But now after the governorship, somehow this just fell into place."

The former Californian governor admitted that he did four hours work on the first Expendables, which was expanded to four days for The Expendables 2.

And he said he's open to more collaborations, saying: "We worked really well together."

Sly - who stars and wrote The Expendables sequel - admitted that full-on action movies are on their way out.

"This genre unfortunately is becoming... let's just say it's fading away," he said.

"You have the superheroes today which are possessed with all extraordinary powers, they can blink and a fireball comes out of there. It's great. And then you have a bunch of us, which is just your basic male-pattern baldness... Kind of like hands-on action."

Press Association

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment