Star Wars stars back campaign for terminally ill fan to see The Force Awakens before release
Published 03/11/2015 | 13:59
Star Wars actors Mark Hamill and John Boyega have lent their support to a campaign to allow a terminally ill fan to see The Force Awakens before its official December 17 opening.
Daniel Fleetwood (32) from Houston, Texas, is battling a rare form of cancer called spindle cell sarcoma and in July he was given just two months to live.
Daniel has been a fan of Star Wars since childhood and fears he won't survive to see the film when it opens in December.
He told KPRC 2 Houston that "judging by how progressive the disease has gotten in the past two months, I really don't think that I'll be able to make it."
The hashtag #ForceForDaniel has been trending the US with Hamill, who plays Luke Skywalker, and newcomer John Boyega retweeting their support.
Daniel is having hospice care at home with his wife Ashley, who said, "It's a commitment and he still has that commitment, that drive, and that love and I think that it's a beautiful thing
"Even if it's just a movie. That's magic for a lot of people."
Daniel is hoping that Walt Disney Studios will facilitate an early screening of the film for him.
Director JJ Abrams previously showed terminally ill cancer patient Daniel Craft a rough cut of Star Trek Into Darkness five months before it was released.