Entertainment Movie News

Wednesday 1 October 2014

Harrison Ford tested for chest injuries after being crushed on Star Wars set

Harrison Ford, the 71-year-old actor, has undergone chest x-rays to determine the severity of his injuries on the set of Star Wars: Episode VII

Published 13/06/2014 | 15:39

  • Share
Harrison Ford was airlifted to hospital after being injured on the set of the latest Star Wars film
Harrison Ford was airlifted to hospital after being injured on the set of the latest Star Wars film

HARRISON Ford has undergone chest x-rays to determine the severity of his injuries while filming Star Wars, as the set is investigated to check it is safe.

  • Share
  • Go To

Ford, the 71-year-old star who plays Han Solo in the film franchise, was airlifted to hospital after being crushed by a falling door on the set at Pinewood Studios.

 

Despite reassurance that he had only injured his ankle, Ford also had tests on his chest to assess the severity of his injuries.

 

Spokesmen for Ford, the film studios and the production company were all unavailable for comment today, as speculation grew over the need to airlift Ford for an apparently minor injury.

 

The accident comes just a month after the actor appeared at the Cannes Film Festival to promote The Expendibles 3, in a press conference where he and co-stars Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Mel Gibson refuted suggestions they may need to start taking extra precautions because of their age.

 

Stallone, who called Ford and his colleagues playful “children with arthritis”, said injuries were unavoidable on set at any age, insisting they did not need to worry.

 

Speaking of his generation of action stars, he added: "Precautions are not in the budget. Everyone gets hurt, there’s no way around it. You didn't have CGI back then [at the start of their careers], you just did it. That's kind of what we take pride in actually, keeping taking the bumps and bruises.”

 

Speaking last year, Ford argued there was no barrier to being an action hero and an “old fart” at the same time.

 

The grandfather-of-three is now said to be recovering from his injuries and in good spirits.

 

The actor was at Pinewood studios in Buckinghamshire when a hydraulic door fell down and hit him as he began work on Star Wars: Episode VII.

 

Ford who also played Indiana Jones, was immediately assessed by medics on the M Stage at the studios close to spaceship, the Millennium Falcon, and he was taken by stretcher onto a helicopter for further treatment.

 

A source told the Daily Mirror: The source said: “Harrison was hit by the door and looked in a bad way and was clutching his chest when he was on the stretcher.

 

“He is one of Hollywood’s biggest stars and no chances were being taken so he got into a helicopter and was taken away in a lot of pain. His foot was damaged too."

 

A spokeswoman for South Central Ambulance Service said: "We were called at 4.24pm to Pinewood to reports of a 71-year-old male who had sustained an injury to his ankle from a door that had fallen."

 

Mr Ford was taken by air ambulance to the John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford with a suspected fracture in his ankle. It is understood he has no major chest injuries but is awaiting results of further tests.

 

Locals pointed out the studio is close to Wexham Park Hospital, speculating that injuries could be more serious than first thought to require a helicopter.

 

It is unclear long Ford will be unable to film for, but it is likely he will require time to recuperate.

 

The set of Stars Wars will also be re-checked for safety.

 

A spokesman for Thames Valley Police said: “We were called to Pinewood studios at 5.05pm after reports of a 71-year-old man being injured by a garage door.”

 

The Health and Safety Executive has launched an investigation into the incident.

 

An HSE spokesperson said: “We have been made aware of an incident at Pinewood studios and are making initial enquiries.”

 

A spokesman for franchise owner Disney, said: "Harrison Ford sustained an ankle injury during filming today on the set of Star Wars: Episode VII. He was taken to a local hospital and is receiving care.

 

"Shooting will continue as planned while he recuperates."

 

Star Wars: Episode VII began filming in mid-May when Director JJ Abrams’ company Bad Robot tweeted a picture of the Episode VII clapper board with the message “#dayone” from Abu Dhabi.

 

The film will be the first Star Wars title released by Disney, after creator George Lucas sold the rights to the franchise in 2012.

 

It will also see the return of the three principal characters from the original trilogy - Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) and Han Solo (Harrison Ford).

 

Hannah Furness, Telegraph.co.uk

Telegraph.co.uk

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment