Thursday 8 December 2016

Daniel Craig told to ‘shut up and stop bashing James Bond'

James Bond actor reportedly warned by Sony executives to stop being critical of SPECTRE after he said he would rather 'slash his wrists' than do another Bond film

Barney Henderson

Published 13/10/2015 | 10:30

Shaken and stirred: Daniel Craig returns with his
Shaken and stirred: Daniel Craig returns with his "weaker" take on Bond in 'Spectre'
Undated handout video grab issued by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios of an image from the latest James Bond film Spectre of Daniel Craig, as the first full trailer for the new Bond movie, Spectre, has been released
jAMES BOND
Eva Green and Daniel Craig in Casino Royale

Daniel Craig has been warned by Sony executives to "shut up" and "stop bashing" James Bond, according to reports, after the star said he would rather "slash his wrists" than do another film.

  • Go To

The actor, who will reprise his role as the British spy for the fourth time in the forthcoming film, told Time Out magazine he wanted to "move on" from the franchise.

However, he has been reprimanded by bosses at the film's studio, Sony.

One Hollywood source told the New York Post: “Craig is pretentious and thinks he’s better than Bond, that it doesn’t give him the creative range he needs.

“Plus he hasn’t had a big hit movie outside of the franchise, and he blames that on Bond.”

The 47-year-old star added he had not given "any thought" to what he would do next.

A second source told the paper: “They had problems initially with the script, Craig was injured on the set and needed knee surgery, and they were still doing reshoots last month, even though the movie is out in weeks.

“It was a very difficult shoot, to say the least,” the source said adding that Craig's comments to Time Out had not gone down well.

Craig told Time Out that if he were to do another 007 film it would "only be for the money".

When asked whether he could imagine doing another Bond movie, he said: "Now? I'd rather break this glass and slash my wrists. No, not at the moment. Not at all. That's fine. I'm over it at the moment. We're done. All I want to do is move on."

The 47-year-old star added he had not given "any thought" to what he would do next.

He said: "For at least a year or two, I just don't want to think about it. I don't know what the next step is. I've no idea. Not because I'm trying to be cagey. Who the ---- knows? At the moment, we've done it. I'm not in discussion with anybody about anything. If I did another Bond movie, it would only be for the money."

As for his potential successor, Craig said his advice would be that they "embrace it".

"Don't be s---. You've got to step up. People do not make movies like this any more. This is really rare now. So don't be s---," he added.

Rebooting Bond: how 007 grew a fond heart  

SPECTRE reunites Craig with director Sam Mendes after 2012's Skyfall became the highest-grossing Bond film in history.

Naomie Harris, Ralph Fiennes, Ben Whishaw and Rory Kinnear return for SPECTRE, alongside newcomers to the franchise such as Christoph Waltz, Andrew Scott, Dave Bautista and Bond girls Lea Seydoux, Monica Bellucci and Stephanie Sigman.

The film opens in cinemas on October 26.

Neither Sony nor representatives for Craig responded to the New York Post story.

Telegraph.co.uk

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment