Wednesday 28 September 2016

Actor Dylan O'Brien hospitalised after serious accident on new Maze Runner set

Published 18/03/2016 | 20:46

2014 file photo: Cast member Dylan O'Brien poses at a press line for
2014 file photo: Cast member Dylan O'Brien poses at a press line for "The Maze Runner" during the 2014 Comic-Con International Convention in San Diego, California. Reuters/Mario Anzuoni/Files

Actor Dylan O'Brien has been hospitalised after a serious accident on the set of the new Maze Runner movie.

  • Go To

The star was shooting a car scene for the third installment in the series, ironically titled The Maze Runner: The Death Cure, in British Columbia, Canada on Thursday, when the stunt went wrong and the 24-year-old was run over.

He was admitted to a nearby hospital with "severe injuries", including multiple broken bones, for which he is currently receiving treatment, according to TMZ.com.

A studio representative for 20th Century Fox has since confirmed the news, revealing the accident has prompted them to temporarily shut down filming.

"Dylan O'Brien was injured yesterday while filming Maze Runner: The Death Cure in Vancouver, Canada," a spokesperson told TheWrap.com. "He was immediately transferred to a local hospital for observation and treatment.

"Production on the film will be shut down while he recovers. Our thoughts go out to Dylan for a full and speedy recovery."

The Maze Runner: The Death Cure is still scheduled for release next February.

It's not the first time O'Brien has suffered during production on the sci-fi action franchise, which is based on the books by James Dashner. Last year (15), the actor revealed he fell ill while shooting Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials on ancient burial grounds in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Castmembers were warned not to disturb the sacred location or take anything from the area, but they ignored the advice and O'Brien claimed it was no coincidence several people ended up getting sick.

"They gave us this big speech when we got there to shoot and they said basically don't take anything and respect the grounds," he explained on America's Live! With Kelly and Michael in September. "They were very strict about littering and don't take any artefacts... and everyone just takes stuff (anyway).

"Within a week, five of our actors just like went down ill. Random stuff too: random appendectomy, random 103.5 (degree) fever, random broken ankle, it was crazy. I got sick; they had to send me home two nights in a row because I had a fever on the set."

His comments about stealing Native American artefacts sparked controversy, and prompted studio bosses at Fox to launch a thorough investigation. They subsequently determined no historical items had been taken.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment