Movies

Thursday 10 July 2014

Compston: Controversy boosted film

Published 16/01/2013|12:00

  • Share
Martin Compston always wanted to play Paul Ferris

Martin Compston believes the controversy around his new film about Scottish gangster Paul Ferris has actually helped boost publicity.

  • Share
  • Go To

The Line Of Duty actor stars in Wee Man, about the rise to power of former Glasgow gangster Paul Ferris within the criminal underworld.

The film has come under fire from local MPs who claim it glamorises violence and is hurtful to the victims, and director Ray Burdis claims Strathclyde Police and Glasgow City Council did not allow the film to be shot in Glasgow "because of the subject matter".

Martin said: "I've never been involved in a film that's had this much hype around it. The controversy I think at times has been a wee bit over the top. I think the people who don't want the film to be made have made a lot more of it by talking about it. And actually in some ways that kind of gave us more publicity."

The 28-year-old actor said he was delighted to play Ferris in the film, as he previously believed he had lost out on the part to The Full Monty star Robert Carlyle.

Martin said: "I was absolutely delighted when I got the part. I've grown up with the story of Paul Ferris, throughout my life I read it all in the papers.

"I remember years ago there was picture of Robert Carlyle coming out of a hotel with the caption 'Robert Carlyle to play Paul Ferris' and I was absolutely gutted, and I remember thinking it was a missed opportunity for me.

"And then it didn't happen, and the film was in and out of production for years, and then one day out of the blue I got the call saying 'Would you like to play Paul Ferris?' And I was chuffed."

Press Association

Read More

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment