Sunday 24 September 2017

Brody sues over thriller payment

Adrien Brody sued the makers of Giallo for more than two million dollars
Adrien Brody sued the makers of Giallo for more than two million dollars

Adrien Brody sued the makers of a film for more than two million US dollars, claiming he has not been fully paid for the project and the movie is being released in the United States without his permission.

The Academy Award-winning actor sued the makers of Giallo in a federal court in Los Angeles, but an emergency petition to stop the film's DVD release was denied.

Sales of the thriller set in Turin, Italy, began this week, although a lawyer for the filmmakers said it has been available to rent since early September. Giallo was shot in 2008.

A judge ruled Brody can still seek an injunction against the film's sale, but must first notify the filmmakers.

Brody claims he is still owed 640,000 dollars for starring in the film and that its release is likely to cost him at least two million dollars in damages.

In a lawsuit and a sworn declaration, the actor said the film's producers lied to him about financing and vastly overstated how much the film's Italian distribution rights were worth.

The filings said Brody's contract allows him to withhold his likeness from the film until he is paid, but the filmmakers have ignored his demands.

"We respectfully dispute his allegations," said A Raymond Hamrick III, a lawyer for defendants Hannibal Pictures and UK-based Giallo Productions Ltd.

Hamrick said the filmmakers have been trying to work out a deal with Brody for several months, but the allegations in his lawsuit are not consistent with his contract.

Martin Barab, who is also representing the film companies, said Brody had been paid nearly one million US dollars for his role.

Press Association

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment