independent

Friday 18 April 2014

Brad Bird says no to Star Wars

Brad Bird won't be directing the next Star Wars film

Brad Bird has become the latest filmmaker to take himself out of the running to direct the new Star Wars film.

Earlier this month it was announced that three new Stars Wars movies are in the pipeline after creator George Lucas sold his company to Disney in a £2.5 billion deal.

And sources claimed Lucasfilm approached three filmmakers - Brad, director of animation The Incredibles and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, Star Trek's JJ Abrams and Lucas' long-term collaborator and friend Steven Spielberg.

Brad tweeted at the weekend in reply to a follower who asked him: "Tell me your next one is the new Star Wars!"

Brad wrote: "Nope. A science fiction film. Not Star Wars. That said, Michael Arndt is a fantastic writer and Kathy Kennedy is a brilliant producer. I will be first in line to see the new Star Wars."

Spielberg and Abrams have already distanced themselves from the rumours.

Spielberg told Access Hollywood: "It's not my genre. It's my best friend George's genre."

And Abrams told Entertainment Weekly: "I have some original stuff I am working on next."

Press Association

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Top Stories

Most Read

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News