Entertainment Movies

Wednesday 24 September 2014

Abrams: I turned down Star Wars

Published 28/12/2012 | 08:30

  • Share
JJ Abrams turned down the chance to work on one of the new Star Wars films

JJ Abrams has revealed that he "declined" the opportunity to direct a Star Wars film - because he prefers to be in the audience.

  • Share
  • Go To

The Star Trek filmmaker admitted that he had "very early conversations" with producer Kathleen Kennedy about being involved in the development of Star Wars: Episode VII.

"I'm a huge fan of Star Wars, Empire and Jedi, and the idea of the world continuing is exciting and will be amazing," he told Empire.

"Kathy Kennedy is a friend and there are no smarter producers. It's in great hands... There were the very early conversations and I quickly said that because of my loyalty to Star Trek, and also just being a fan, I wouldn't even want to be involved in the next version of those things," he continued.

"I declined any involvement very early on. I'd rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them," he added.

JJ, who has been working on the Star Trek Into Darkness, previously said that he has no plans to make Star Wars one of his enterprises.

"Star Wars is one of my favourite movies of all time. I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series," he told Hollywood Life.

Three more Star Wars films are on the cards after creator George Lucas sold his company to Disney. Star Wars: Episode VII, which will be written by Michael Arndt, is scheduled for a 2015 release.

Press Association

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment