Monday 29 December 2014

Hector is not getting the axe, says 2FM boss

Ken Sweeney, Entertainment Editor

Published 15/11/2013 | 12:11

Presenter Hector O hEochagain
Hector O hEochagain: 'wild'

Hector o hEochagain has been assured his job at 2fm is safe.

The popular presenter got an early phone call from 2fm boss Dan Healy this morning to inform him he was not being axed from the station.

The RTE boss was reacting to media reports that popular host Hector was to be replaced in a radical shake-up at the radio station.

“Hector to be axed? You might as well have said Hector picked to play for Ireland by Roy Keane,” Mr Healy said.

 “This is nonsense. I personally rang Hector this morning to assure him that he was not being axed.” Dan Healy told the Herald.

On a more serious note the senior RTE figure spoke of the effect reports like this had on Hector, or Larry Gogan where another recent report claimed he was to lose his daytime show.

“You have to think about the presenters and their presenters and their families reading this and then hearing friends and neighbours.

“It's absolutely horrendous for good guys doing their job well,” he said.

The former CEO of 98fm, who took over 2fm earlier this year, said he was “exhausted” by a slew of inaccurate reports about talent being axed from 2fm.

“It's been Hector, Ryan, Larry. Which DJ are they going to name as being axed from 2fm next?

“I've said continually we are going to work with what we have. We are absolutely making changes but no decision has been taken.

“What I said to Hector this morning was ‘see you in Galway soon’.”

In charge of the station for the past five months, Mr Healy told the Herald earlier this month, that a revamp of 2fm would not involve firing presenters.

“Instead of going crazy and chucking everyone out, what we are going to do is build our content.

“Look at the two presenters we have in the mornings , Hector and Ryan Tubridy, you couldn't get stronger talent,” he said.

Despite this he acknowledged that there were “issues” with the content of 2fm between 7am and 11am.

“We changed the music and the image but we are losing audience in Dublin.

“So what we now have to do is target our content in terms of what we talk about in terms of life, sex, money and health.

“We have to be talking in a way that's relevant to people in Dublin and Leinster between the ages of 25 and 34 and paying attention to what our competitors are doing,” he said.

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment