Hector Ó hEochagáin is leaving his RTE 2Fm breakfast show as part of a major station shake-up.
The broadcaster has held the morning flagship programme on RTE 2FM with 'Breakfast with Hector', but will be leaving his radio role as part of a major shake-up.
While he may be leaving the airwaves, he is focusing his efforts on television, working on a number of development projects with the State broadcaster.
His departure comes just weeks after radio rival Adrian Kennedy said the show, which is recorded in Galway, should be scrapped in order to regain Dublin listeners.
Newly appointed Head of 2fm Dan Healy thanked Hector for his time at the station and wished him well in the future.
“Hector is a major personality and hugely loved by Irish audiences and has played a significant role in developing breakfast radio with his show ‘Breakfast with Hector’ on 2fm," he began.
"‘Keep her lit’ helped take the country through the past three years of the recession with outside broadcasts from Friday factory floor fillers to second chance debs.
"RTÉ 2fm would like to take this opportunity to thank Hector for the enormous effort it takes to broadcast a breakfast show and for the entertainment he gave to his ‘soldiers of the dawn’.”
Last month, Kennedy said: "Dan [Healy] has to understand that Dublin people see life as them versus the rest of the country. With Hector's accent he wouldn't have a hope of getting listeners in Dublin.
"The Pale still exists -- there are listeners in Dublin who have never been outside the M50, and are happy about that."