Grand Theft Auto V wins big at VGX
GTA5 takes Game of the Year award
The annual Video Game Awards took place this past weekend, with the year's big titles cleaning up.
Dubbed VGX to mark the VGA's 10th year, the award show featured a radically different format, focusing on in-depth demos and interviews in a more intimate studio setting.
There were no surprises when Grand Theft Auto V, Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us won the lion's share of the awards:
- Game of the Year - Grand Theft Auto V
- Studio of the Year - Naughty Dog
- Character of the Year - The Lutece Twins, Bioshock Infinite
- Best Shooter - BioShock Infinite
- Best Action-Adventure Game - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
- Best Sports game - NBA 2k14
- Best Independent Game - Gone Home
- Best RPG - Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
- Best Fighting Game - Injustice: Gods Among Us
- Best Driving Game - Forza Motorsport 5
- Best DLC - Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
- Best Xbox Game - Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
- Best Playstation Game - The Last of Us
- Best Nintentdo Game - Super Mario 3D World
- Best PC Game - Gone Home
- Best Handheld Game - The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
- Best Casual Game - Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- Best Mobile Game - Plants Vs Zombies 2: It's About Time
- Best Voice Actor - Troy Baker as Joel, The Last of Us
- Best Voice Actress - Ashley Johnson as Ellie, The Last of Us
- Best Soundtrack - Grand Theft Auto V
- Best Song in a Game - "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" , BioShock Infinite
- Most Anticipated Game - Titanfall
News coming from the show included:
- Nintendo announced the release date of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and showed new playable character Cranky Kong.
- TellTale Games (behind the fantastic Walking Dead games) are due to work on a Bordlerlands companion game and more exciting, a Game of Thrones game.
- Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition was announced for Xbox One and Playstation 4, arriving at the end of January 2014.
- No Man's Sky by Hello Games was the only real surprise game announcement. The impressive space exploration game is being developed by a team of only 4, demonstrating the quality indie developers can strive for.
- New trailers were shown of The Witcher 3, Titanfall, Destiny and Thief, amongst others.