E3 2015: Catch-up 2 - Nintendo & Square Enix
The last of the big E3 2015 conferences had enough to make them worth the wait.
First up we had the always intriguing Nintendo. Never one to follow the flock, the Nintendo announcements are usually prime for surprises.
- Star Fox Zero - That's right, new Star Fox! The first Nintendo produced Star Fox title since the N64. Many suspected a HD remake of the original Star Fox game, but this offering brings in enough new elements to update the title without actually going so far as being a sequel.
- The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes - This one felt like a surprise, or rather the lack of a Wii U Zelda was a surprise. This one is a co-op Zelda puzzler for the 3DS, allowing three players to work together on puzzles and bosses. Also brings in different outfits that change a players abilities, so lets hope for an ultimate chicken hat of power.
- Super Mario Maker - Coming September 11th 2015, this 2D platformer allows you to create and upload your own Mario levels. Expect a non-stop stream of user invention to play through.
- Metroid Prime Federation Force - Another 3DS title and another big franchise to embrace co-op missions. Four players can work together to complete missions such as infiltrating enemy bases. Also included is Blast Ball, a 3 v 3 sports game where you shoot a ball in to a goal while piloting a mech.
Square Enix had the pleasure of the final 'big name' conference of the Expo, launching shortly after Nintendo (though they originally clashed before a rescheduling move on Square's part.)
- Kingdom Hearts 3 - We were treated to a gameplay highlight reel, showing off new abilities and levels. First announced at E3 2013, the game again follows protagonist Sora. No release date yet. Be patient true fans, be patient.
- Rise of the Tomb Raider - Already shown off during Microsoft's press conference, the focus here was a behind the scenes look at bringing realism to the game. Interesting one for game devs and makes you appreciate the effort involved.
- Just Cause 3 - Launched December 1st 2015, a trailer showed more crazy stunts and filled in the (somewhat unoriginal) narrative. We also got to see the addition of new grapple abilities and the mayhem they can cause. Looks like some classic Just Cause explosive action.
- Final Fantasy VII HD Remake - Featured in the Sony press conference, this is a remake of a game that defined a gaming generation.
- Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness -
- The likes of Hitman and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided made an appearance, but were already covered in previous conferences. E3 2015 Catch-up 1 - Bethesda, Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft and Sony
Also on the cards (as well as the many smaller developers showing off their wares) is the AMD/PC Gamer PC Gaming Show, which we'll deal with in a separate article.
For the first two days - E3 2015 Catch-up 1 - Bethesda, Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft and Sony