Friday 9 December 2016

Students warned to be wary of Marlay Park 'festival' scam

Published 23/07/2016 | 02:30

A Facebook page called ‘Leaving Cert Festival 2016’ has been set up to trick students into buying tickets for the bogus event. Stock photo
A Facebook page called ‘Leaving Cert Festival 2016’ has been set up to trick students into buying tickets for the bogus event. Stock photo

Leaving Cert students and their parents are being warned about a scam claiming a festival will take place next month in Marlay Park to celebrate the exam results.

  • Go To

A Facebook page called 'Leaving Cert Festival 2016' has been set up to trick students into buying tickets for the bogus event.

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council has confirmed no such festival will take place.

Fine Gael senator Neale Richmond, who is from the Ballinteer area, near Marlay Park, said he became aware of the sinister hoax when an advertisement popped up on his Facebook page.

When he looked at the page and made enquiries, it became clear the festival was a fake.

"A friend of mine has a little brother who said he clicked a link on the Facebook page for tickets, which just went to the Ticketmaster home page.

"Apparently, when you send them a message to say this, and ask how to get tickets, the guys send you a number and say they will arrange to give you tickets," he explained.

Mr Richmond said it appeared the scammers were trying to charge around €20 per ticket from unsuspecting students.

He was unaware of anyone who had been tricked into handing over the money, but the Facebook page had more than 3,000 people interested and 1,400 people who said they were going.

A number of people had also left messages on the page, asking how to buy tickets.

Mr Richmond said a number of different pages have been set up and taken down on social media, seemingly by the same scammers.

In some cases, the pages said famous international acts such as Eric Prydz would be playing at the event.

The most recent page did not provide any names for artists and only said the line-up would be announced.

It said the event was due to take place on August 17.

"This event is a straight- up scam, looking to extort money out of young festival-goers," Mr Richmond added.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment