THE Rosie Hackett Bridge may be the only bridge in present-day Dublin named after a woman, but before that there was Sara Bridge.
The bridge on the South Circular Road now known as Island Bridge was originally named after Sara Fane, the young wife of the Lord Lieutenant and a prominent member of society in the late 1700s.
This story, and the stories of Dublin's 22 other bridges, have been brought to life in a new interactive digital archive by Dublin City Council.
The archive on www.bridgesofdublin.ie contains the history, design and engineering information and name origins of each of the 23 bridges that cross the Liffey.
Fane eloped with the then-penniless John Fane against her father's wishes and moved to Ireland.
She laid the foundation stone for the bridge herself in 1791 but died before it was completed a year later. In 1922, it was renamed Island Bridge.
Seventeen of Dublin's bridges are pictured, in no particular order below, with the answers last in the slideshow. No cheating!
Dublin City Council decided to compile the archive in response to the amount of public interest in the bridges during Engineers Week in February.
"When bridges are built can be an indication of what the economy was like at the time. Why were three bridges built in 15 years, and then no bridges for 50 years?" said Dublin's city engineer, Michael Phillips.
All the research and writing for the archive was done over 12 months by Annette Black, a teacher in St Killian's German School in Clonskeagh, Dublin.
After writing a small article about the bridges of Dublin for 'Ireland's Own', Ms Black was approached by Dublin City Council to expand it to a full project.
The original idea was to research and write a 5,000-word essay, but the project began to grow as she realised the depth of the history.