Singletons and loved-up couples may be wondering which movies to watch this Valentine's Day.
But when it comes to the silver screen's long-term romance with love, many directors have got it wrong. (Scroll to see gallery).
Usual date suspect Casablanca is a much wiser bet, crackling with wit, style and erotic energy in much the same vein as Catherine Deneuve does in kitsch delight The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.
If you’re feeling extra bitter this year, Blue Valentine is the anti-14 February movie for you. Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams star in a brilliantly-acted but ultimately bleak study of a relationship in good times and bad.
Take a look at our Valentine’s hits and misses below:
1. Romeo and Juliet (1968) - HIT
2. Random Harvest (1942) - HIT
3. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964) - HIT
4. Les Amants de Pont Neuf (1991) - HIT
5. Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) - HIT
6. Casablanca (1942) - HIT
7. An Affair to Remember (1957) - HIT
8. His Girl Friday (1940) - HIT
9. L'Atalante (1934) - HIT
10. A Bout de Souffle (1960) - HIT
11. Romeo and Juliet (2013) - MISS
12. Runaway Bride (1999) - MISS
13. Not Another Happy Ending (2013) - MISS
14. Sleepless in Seattle (1993) - MISS
15. Did You Hear About the Morgans? (2009) - MISS
16. You've Got Mail (1998) - MISS
17. Ghost (1990) - MISS
18. Love Story (1970) - MISS
19. Blue Valentine (2010) - MISS
20. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966) - MISS