Saturday 3 December 2016

Three network 'meltdown': Issue is resolved

Published 07/04/2015 | 06:33

Robert Finnegan, CEO of mobile network 3
Robert Finnegan, CEO of mobile network 3

Up to two million customers of Three Ireland were unable to make calls, send texts or use data yesterday as the company battled major problems with its network.

  • Go To

Some customers also reported problems with using the Three website for parts of the day.

The issue with service has now been resolved since just before 7am this morning.

The company thanked customers for their patience and apologised for any inconvenience caused.

A company spokeswoman said the outage was caused by an electrical failure in one of its data centres.

"An electrical failure in one of our data centres caused the building's temperature to rise, which subsequently impacted some of our systems," she said.

By 8pm last night most of Three's services had resumed, but some customers still experienced some problems.

Read more: Three network down for many of 2m customers nationwide

Three recently added O2 customers to its ranks following the purchase of O2's Irish business last year. It is  understood that former O2 customers were amongst the worst affected yesterday.

Three experienced a network outage on the same day last June that it announced the €850m deal.

Three is the second biggest mobile provider in the country, following its merger with O2 Ireland.

It has a 32pc market share with market leader Vodafone on 39pc.

Mobile phone usage in Ireland is one of the highest in Europe per head of population.

The country boasts over 140pc penetration, with nearly six million subscribers in a population of 4.2 million. Smartphone penetration is also unusually high at around 61pc.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Business