Business Technology

Thursday 19 January 2017

Google denies building Facebook rival

Published 11/11/2010 | 15:09

Hugo Barra, Google's head of mobile product management, has denied that the search company plans to launch Google Me, a social network to rival Facebook. Photo: Getty Images
Hugo Barra, Google's head of mobile product management, has denied that the search company plans to launch Google Me, a social network to rival Facebook. Photo: Getty Images

Google’s mobile chief has flat out denied that the search company is developing a ‘traditional’ social network, called Google Me, to rival Facebook.

  • Go To

Hugo Barra, Google’s director of mobile product management, said: “We are not working on building a traditional social network platform.

"We do think 'social' is a key ingredient … but we think of it more broadly. We think of social as an ingredient rather than a vertical platform.”

Talking today at the Monaco Media Forum, on a panel discussing the impact of mobile apps on the desktop web, Barra said that Google was working on developing social apps, but not a specific new social network.

Earlier this year, Kevin Rose, the founder of Digg, started a rumour, citing a "very credible source" that Google was working on creating a Facebook rival called Google Me.

In an interview a couple of weeks after the rumour emerged, Matt Brittin, Google’s UK chief executive, refused to comment on the speculation, but stopped short of denying the claim.

However, Barra stressed that social would be a part of the mobile solutions Google was developing. When asked how Google will ensure its products are more social so that they stay relevant on mobile devices moving forward, Barra admitted that it was a “problem” Google was currently working on.

He also joked about the rumoured name of Google Me, calling it "awful".

Telegraph.co.uk

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Business