Be wary of Google-Motorola deal, Nokia boss
Nokia’s chief executive has backed claims that Google’s $12.5bn (€8.7bn) acquisition of Motorola Mobility could mean problems for other Android smartphone makers.
Stephen Elop, who earlier this year signed and exclusive deal with Microsoft so that Nokia smartphones will run only Windows Phone 7, commented on the implications of the acquisition for Samsung and HTC, Motorola’s Android rivals.
“If I happened to be someone who was an Android manufacturer or an operator, or anyone with a stake in that environment, I would be picking up my phone and calling certain executives at Google and say 'I see signs of danger ahead,'" he said.
Independent analysts have also suggested that Google may give preferential treatment to Motorola once the acquisition is complete.
Google has however presented its move as one designed to defend all Android makers in the ongoing smartphone patent litigation war, in which they are being sued by Apple, Microsoft and Oracle.
Motorola holds about 17,000 patents and Google released statements from all its major Android partners welcoming the strategy when it was announced on Monday.
Mr Elop also claimed the all-cash deal vindicated his decision to work exclusively with Microsoft.
“The very first reaction I had was very clearly the importance of the third ecosystem and the importance of the partnership that we announced on February 11, it is more clear than ever before,” he said.
Google’s move has prompted renewed speculation that Microsoft could acquire Nokia or RIM, the maker of BlackBerry.