Friday 24 October 2014

Apple seeks America sales ban on old Samsung phones

Published 26/05/2014 | 02:30

Samsung sign displayed at the company's Seocho office building in Seoul, South Korea
Samsung sign displayed at the company's Seocho office building in Seoul, South Korea

APPLE is looking for US authorities to implement a sales ban on some older Samsung smartphones after a court ruled that the South Korean company had infringed some of its patents.

Earlier this month, Apple won $120m of the $2.2bn it sought and has identified nine devices that it wants barred.

Apple, which has said that a sales ban is more important than monetary damages, has been waging legal battles with Samsung since 2011.

The world's top two smartphone makers each seek to dominate a market that was valued at $338.2bn last year, according to data by Bloomberg.

Apple announced it was settling litigation involving Google's Motorola Mobility handset unit. The agreement, patent experts said, might only intensify its feud with Samsung, which uses Google's Android operating system to power its phones. (Bloomberg)

Irish Independent

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in Business