Published 06/09/2015 | 02:30
Portlick Castle in Glasson, near Athlone in Co Westmeath, is the only medieval castle in Ireland in continuous use as a residence. Located on the shores of Lough Ree, with 19 acres of pasture and woodland, and eight of marshland, the castle was renovated 20 years ago and is in very good condition, having been used as a wedding venue and small hotel.
Portlick was built in 1185 by the De Lion (later Dillon) family, who remained there until the 17th Century. It was later the home of the Smyth family, who were in occupation from the early 18th Century until 1955. There's a restored carriage house and potential for further development.
Agent: Ganly Walters (01) 662 3255
Sunday Indo Business