Four on the market: Ecclesiastical properties
Published 11/09/2015 | 02:30
A choice of four ecclesiastical properties currently for sale around the country.
Old Convent, Co Tipperary
€195k Townshends (01) 507 9430; REA Stokes & Quirke (052) 612 1788
The former Mercy Convent in New Inn, south Tipperary dates back to 1877, but was refurbished about a decade ago and is now in good order. It's about 11,000 sq ft in size on three storeys, with two dozen or so bedrooms and various reception rooms, including a sitting room, a dining room and the former chapel. It also has a lift. The convent is on 1.8 acres of grounds, with formal gardens at the front and a patch of woodland to one side. On the other side is the village national school.
Loreto convent, Co Cork
€900k Schiller & Schiller (071) 916 3284
The selling agents suggest the Loreto convent and secondary school in Youghal could make an exceptional private house, if a buyer were to renovate the historical, listed portion of the property and get rid of the rest. The lot consists of the former Loreto convent, dating from 1840, and the school buildings - one of which is a listed redbrick Victorian structure built in the 1870s. They stand together on an elevated, 4.2-acre site overlooking the sea at Lighthouse Road in Youghal, with tennis courts and mature trees. The place has been unoccupied since 2008 and now needs renovation. The price has been cut from €1.2m.
Old Convent Lodge, Co Mayo
€415k Sherry Fitzgerald Crowley (093) 29009
The owners of this old convent in Mulranny, overlooking Clew Bay in County Mayo, bought the place 15 years ago and partly renovated it, but they kept the former chapel, complete with stained-glass windows, as a reception room. The house dates from 1903 and is 2,700 sq ft in size, with seven bedrooms, as well as a living room, dining room, study, kitchen and utility, and the chapel. It's on a one-acre site and there are outbuildings amounting to another 392 sq ft, including toilets and shower, a garage, workshop and shed.
Old Parochial House, Co Cork
€230k Henry O’Leary (023) 883 5959
This former presbytery is about halfway between Dumanway and Macroom, and about 45 minutes' drive from Cork city. The property consists of a restored period house with three bedrooms, as well as a two-storey coach house on the grounds. In 2007, planning permission was granted to converted the coach house to a three-bedroom guesthouse. The planning permission has expired but the architect's plans are still available. The main house has a dining room, living room, kitchen and utility on the ground floor, and three bedrooms upstairs, together with a bathroom with a free-standing claw-foot bath.