First families to move into modular homes for Christmas
Published 24/11/2015 | 02:30
The first homeless families to move into new modular homes are expected to do so just in time for Christmas.
Dublin City Council said work had finally begun on the new homes at Poppintree in Ballymun to ease the homeless crisis. The local authority has entered into a contract with Co Tyrone company Western Building Systems to provide the 22 homes.
Work began yesterday on the site, and it is estimated that the new homes will cost €4.2m.
The tender, design and build process for the homes has been fast-tracked because of the urgency of the situation, and the council said they would be ready by December 21. It was only last Thursday that the council delivered a report to the Department of the Environment outlining the bids made for the contract.
This first stage of modular home provision consists of two-storey, three-bedroom homes. The site had been named Baile na Laochra (Town of the Heroes), the council said.
Meanwhile fire safety concerns are not the only issues troubling the Longboat Quay complex in Dublin's Docklands after parts of the copper cladding on the roof blew off during Storm Barney last week.
Residents received an email from the management company of the 298 homes, warning them to stay away from balconies and common areas.
"I got the email on Wednesday saying that there was copper cladding after coming off the roof and the playground area was closed and if we had a balcony to stay off the balcony," said resident Shay Pullen (50).
The management company said that the roof was inspected last Wednesday and repairs began immediately. They are expected to take a few days.