Cabinet consents to Forbes' appointment as next RTÉ boss
Published 07/04/2016 | 02:30
The caretaker Cabinet has consented to the appointment of Dee Forbes as the next RTÉ boss.
Ms Forbes, president and managing director at Discovery Networks Northern Europe, was selected to replace Noel Curran as RTÉ director general by the State broadcaster on Friday.
While the selection of a candidate for the position is a matter for the board of RTÉ under the Broadcasting Act, confirming the appointment requires the government's consent.
Acting Communications Minister Alex White raised the matter with ministerial colleagues when the Cabinet met yesterday and Ms Forbes' appointment was approved.
"Dee Forbes is a woman of high calibre, with considerable experience in the broadcasting world," Mr White said.
"She comes to RTÉ at a time of great challenge and opportunity for the organisation, and indeed for public service broadcasting.
"I am confident that the new DG will provide strong and insightful leadership to RTÉ, and I wish her every success in her new role."
Mr White also acknowledged what he described as "the excellent work" or her predecessor Mr Curran who he said "steered RTÉ through some very difficult times and put the organisation on a sustainable financial footing".
When news that Ms Forbes would replace Mr Curran emerged late last week she said it was a "tough decision" to leave Discovery, but described the job at RTÉ as "an opportunity of a lifetime".
RTÉ could not last night say when its first female director general will start in the role but it will be later this year after a period of transition.