Thursday 19 October 2017

'A crippling blow' - Cosmetics giant Coty confirms closure of Tipperary plant resulting in loss of up to 250 jobs

First staff to be let go in October

The news comes just months after the worldwide cosmetics giant completed a €11.5 billion takeover of Procter & Gamble, including the Co Tipperary site Photo: Getty
The news comes just months after the worldwide cosmetics giant completed a €11.5 billion takeover of Procter & Gamble, including the Co Tipperary site Photo: Getty
Amy Molloy

Amy Molloy

Up to 250 people at cosmetics company Coty will lose their jobs after it was confirmed that they will be closing their Tipperary plant.

The Nenagh based plant which is on the former Procter & Gamble site shut down production for the day and arranged a meeting with staff at midday.

Staff were informed that the company will be completely shut down by the end of 2018.

Jobs will be lost over a phased period of 18 months.

Employees at the company said they weren't shocked at the announcement, but most first learned their fate through the media.

"Everyone is upset that the media knew about it before the workers did," one employee told Independent.ie.

"The news came as a shock but there had been a bit of a negative feeling in the factory lately.

"I don't know what the community is going to do with the loss of 250 jobs. There's not much employment around here.

"The company started operating on the Tipperary site last October following a €11.3 billion deal with Proctor and Gamble.

"Everybody was very quiet at the meeting but nobody seemed distraught

"It's back to production as normal tomorrow. I don’t know how they expect everyone to go back to work as normal after this."

Coty is the company behind cosmetic brands such as Rimmel, Max Factor, fragrance brands such as Hugo Boss and Gucci and hair colour brands Well and Clairol.

"It doesn't sound great," Sinn Féin councillor Seamus Morris said, after members of Tipperary County Council from the Nenagh area heard of today's meeting.

"This factory has managed to pull surprises before: there was many a deadline looming on the future of this factory and it's stayed open, that was down to staff. We're all crossing our fingers and toes that the news will be good, but it doesn't look good."

Concerns emerged in 2015 during the takeover of pension rights for workers. Siptu lodged a bonus payment claim against P&G and the Labour Court recommended that workers receive a one-off loyalty payment.

Staff in the Nenagh plant will receive redundancy payments under the terms previously available from Procter & Gamble, amounting to six weeks’ pay per year of service, plus two weeks’ statutory redundancy.

Responding to the announcement by the company, SIPTU Sector Organiser, Alan O’Leary said: "This is a devastating blow to the workers concerned. While our members were made aware of a review of operations by Coty management over the past year, the closure decision was unexpected. We will now meet with company management to discuss the outcome of the review and we expect to enter intensive talks to consider ways of minimising the proposed job cuts."

SIPTU Organiser, Allen Dillon added: "Proctor and Gamble have been in Nenagh since the 1970’s before Coty took over the plant last year and the closure is a crippling blow to the workers and their families as well as the local community and economy."

Online Editors

Search 1,000’s of jobs on IrishJobs.ie

IJ

Also in Business