Business Irish

Monday 22 September 2014

Petroceltic evacuates Iraq staff, suspends operations

Published 11/08/2014 | 08:37

  • Share
Geoff Probert, Head of Technical at Petroceltic
Geoff Probert, Head of Technical at Petroceltic
Petroceltic chief executive Brian O'Cathain
Petroceltic chief executive Brian O'Cathain

EXPLORATION firm Petroceltic has evacuated non-essential staff from its Iraqi/Kurdistan operations and has suspended operations, the company said today.

  • Share
  • Go To

"It has been decided, as a precautionary measure, to temporarily secure and suspend operations, including the drilling of Shireen-1 exploration well in the Dinarta licence," Petroceltic said.

The decision was taken with partner in the region Hess Middle East New Ventures.

The move came as violence spread with the advance of Islamic State militants.

A number of other exploration firms have taken similar precautions.

Marathon Oil said last week it was evacuating personnel from the region.

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in Business