Marlay Park gigs get extended run as council seeks promoters up to 2021
Published 09/07/2015 | 02:30
Concerts in Marlay Park look set to go ahead for another five years as the local council is currently looking for a new concert promoter.
Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council has issued a tender looking for expressions of interest from promoters to hold concerts in Marlay Park from 2016 to 2021.
A spokeswoman for the council said it has not decided on an overall number of concerts that will be held during the five-year period. She said the number could vary year-to-year.
"It [the number of concerts] will not be mapped out for the next five years, it will be decided on a year-by-year basis. Costs for the concert will be agreed with the promoter who wins the tender. Promoters will be paid on a concert-by-concert basis," she said.
This year there will be a total of five concerts in Marlay Park.
Last weekend saw both Swedish DJ Aviici and singer Paolo Nutini play to huge crowds on Friday and Saturday evening, while the Longitude Festival is set to run from July 17 to 19. The five concerts will have a combined capacity of 135,000 people.
However, this is a significant reduction compared to the number of events held in the park last year, when there were eight concert days, including Longitude, which boasted a total capacity of 210,000 people.
The staging of the concerts was reviewed after a record number of complaints from locals last year when 150 people contacted Dun Laoghaire Rathdown council.
Over the past six months, organisers Festival Republic worked in conjunction with several local residents' associations to ensure sufficient security is in place this summer. External security and stewarding was increased by 50pc for the five upcoming concerts.
Despite the new measures, some locals are still unhappy with the level of anti-social behaviour in the area over the weekend. South Dublin 'Protect Our Parks' group (SDPOP) have made a detailed submission to Dun Laoghaire Rathdown council outlining concerns.
They believe that the southside park is not a suitable venue for such large-scale concerts. Some members want to see the number of concerts reduced, while others want to see them banned outright.
Members of SDPOP said that they were unhappy with the level of anti-social behaviour in the area for last weekend's concerts.
However, gardai have said that the concert-goers were well behaved. A total of 31 arrests were made during the two concert days and 71 searches were carried out for drug-related offences.