Center Parcs: Five things you didn't know
1. The business was founded by Dutch entrepreneur Piet Derksen who started a sporting goods business in 1953. The first resort opened in 1968 at De Lommerbergen in Holland.
2. Center Parcs is a European network of holiday villages. It incorporates Center Parcs UK which is currently owned by US private equity giant Blackstone which already owns properties here but is looking to sell the resort business.
3. There could be handbags at Ballymahon yet. A number of high net worth individuals including Chinese billionaires and the owners of the Formula 1 franchise are in the running to buy the Center Park UK business.
4. No two Centre Parc villages are the same, though they share common features. All activities at all of its parks, except swimming and playgrounds, are charged for.
5. In December 2004, Center Parcs opened its fifth UK site, at Warren Wood near Flitwick, Bedfordshire at a cost of about £200m.