Irish Water staff in the dark over future as suspension looms
Published 28/04/2016 | 09:10
Irish Water workers have not been informed by the Government about the future of their jobs as the controversial water charges are due to be suspended.
The Irish Independent revealed on Thursday that householders who have not yet paid the charges will not be pursued either as arrears must be above €500 before they can be taken to court.
It is understood those who did pay their charges will not receive a refund.
The current speculation surrounding the charges has led to uncertainty about the future of those employed at Irish Water.
A spokesperson for the company said it had received no formal policy change from the Government.
“No final policy change resulting from current political talks has been conveyed to Irish Water. When we are informed by government of any policy decisions that affect Irish Water or water charges we will assess the implications of those decisions for our operations and for our staff.”
Last year Irish Water cut around 300 jobs as part of its business plan, which was established when the company was formed.
Irish Water had been looking to save around €1.1bn in operational savings by 2021.
Despite existing legislation that prevents those with arrears of less that €500 from going to court, Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin said the Dáil would be focused on chasing those who haven't paid their bills thus far.