Wee beauty - a dairy holding in shadow of Mellifont Abbey
This 'walk-in' residential dairy holding is located in the shadow of the famed Mellifont Abbey
Published 06/07/2016 | 02:30
Monasteries were rarely established on poor land, a decent supply of food and water was always a prerequisite for these settlements - it isn't easy to say your prayers on an empty stomach. Land located close to these establishments comes with a mark of quality.
One of the earliest monastic settlements of the Roman as distinct from the Celtic variety was Mellifont Abbey, founded on the banks of the Mattock River in the heart of good farming ground in Co Louth.
Established in 1142 by the Cistercians on the invitation of St Malachy the Archbishop of Armagh, Mellifont survived and thrived until the suppression of the monasteries by Henry VIII in 1539.
A fine compact residential 91ac farm located at Drumshinny, Mellifont in Co Louth brings with it the blessing of monastic proximity - it is but a field away from the famous abbey and shares river frontage with it. The farm includes a dormer residence, dairying facilities and excellent outbuildings. It can be bought as an entire or in lots with a guide price of €950,000.
Located 7km north of Slane off the N2 the holding is 7km from the nearest M2 junction.
The house is located at the west of the land and reached by a long paved driveway with large stone wing walls and steel gates opening on to the public road. Surrounded by mature hedging and private mature gardens the dwelling is a substantial dormer residence.
The accommodation consists of a sitting room, kitchen/dining room, family room, utility and a guest WC. There are three bedrooms and a bathroom on the first floor.
According to Declan O'Neill of Drogheda selling agents Sherry FitzGerald Lannon the house was built in the mid-1990s and is in very good condition.
The farmyard is entered from a separate road to the house and consists of modern farm buildings including recently constructed convenient cattle handling facilities and a recently decommissioned dairy facility for 90 cows.
This includes an unused eight-unit herringbone parlour, a newly built seven-bay apex shed, a 60 unit cubicle slatted shed with lean-to and a hay shed along with two silage pits and a machinery shed.
The land is described as top quality grazing ground laid out in six fields with an established farm road network with access from two public roads along with frontage on the River Mattock.
The property can be bought by private treaty as an entire or in lots with the residence on some 40ac guided at €550,000. A parcel of 51ac with the farm buildings is guided at €400,000 while the entire on 91ac is guided at €950,000.