Teed up for a new beginning
Once earmarked for development as a golf club, this Cork property, guided at €2m, has much potential
Published 12/08/2015 | 02:30
An estate steeped in history is on the market in Co Cork with planning permission for a 40 bedroom hotel and an 18 hole championship golf course for €2m.
Ballygiblin House at Cecilstown, Mallow in Co Cork is a substantial agricultural estate set on 140ac.
The property includes top quality lands, a period cut-stone farmhouse, stable yards and the ruins of the original Ballygiblin manor house.
The entire holding was bought during the boom and has planning permission for a 40 bedroom hotel, 93 residential units, 16 holiday homes, an 18 hole championship golf course with golf academy and driving bays.
The clock is ticking down on the planning permission for this development which is valid until February 2016 and the private treaty sale is guided by Ganly Walters and joint agents Irish and European at €2m.
Located west of the N20 between Newtwopothouse and Mallow, Ballygiblin is a property that's steeped in history.
The house was formerly part of the 20,000ac Ballygiblin demesne that was the seat of the Beecher/Becher family who came to Ireland in the time of Elizabeth I.
Sir Henry Becher, who was aide-de-camp to King William III, built the castellated mansion now in ruins.
The 18th century cut limestone manor house retains many impressive features, such as a carved coat of arms and dominating spire.
Architect William Vitruvius Morrison revamped the house in 1936 in a Tudor Baronial style.
His design saw the addition of a two-storey structure to accommodate a large dining room and drawing room.
This development was some few yards back from the earlier structure and the space was filled by a square tower topped by an octagonal lantern and this structure became a new entrance to the house.
The Wrixon-Becher family continued to reside in Ballygiblin until it was bought in 1935 by Jack Lombard.
Mr Lombard turned the estate into an equestrian enterprise training racehorses there until 1955, when a certain Captain Hornsby bought the place.
In the 1960s Captain Hornsby stripped the roof to avoid residential rates and the house soon fell to dereliction.
The next owner converted part of the stabling into a residence and this became the dwelling house on the estate and is known as Ballygiblin House.
Located close to the Manor House the building is of cut limestone and comprises generous, spacious accommodation that includes an entrance hall, drawing room, sitting room, kitchen/breakfast room, utility room and a study.
Upstairs there are four bedrooms a bathroom and a shower room with all rooms commanding great views over the surrounding estate and countryside.
Out of doors the property is dotted with mature trees with a wide variety of shrubbery, a number of walled gardens and lawns
Attached to the Manor House is the original limestone stable block and outbuildings, comprising a working yard with 14 loose boxes, coach houses, a tack room, and former grooms' quarters.
The yard has independent access from the public road.
The lands extending to 140ac are laid out in easily managed divisions that are currently in tillage.
The lands would lend themselves to all types of farming, but would make a super stud farm especially were the original stable block to be developed.
According to Charles Irwin of Ganly Walters this is a fine block of the best tillage lands and with the array of buildings the place has huge potential from a number of perspectives.