Phillipstown Manor set to entice
Published 09/08/2011 | 05:00
Dating back to 1745, Phillipstown Manor is a former shooting lodge situated in the heart of Co Carlow.
The detached seven-bay, two-storey over-basement house at Rathvilly has been owned by the Brophy family for more than 70 years and still retains some original architectural features, such as round-headed window openings and cut-stone dressings around the doors, sills and eaves.
Inside, the house has been renovated over the years, including the installation of central heating, re-roofing and some new doors and windows. However, it may still require some upgrading or decoration work by the new owner.
The accommodation includes a reception hall, drawing room, dining room, kitchen with oil-fired Aga, back hall, shower room and smaller rooms.
Upstairs, the first floor contains four bedrooms, a nursery and bathroom with electric shower. Continuing up another level, the second floor has two more bedrooms, one with a walk-in wardrobe.
While the house originally had more land with it, it is being offered for sale with 162ac.
This is all in grass and has been used for cattle production by the owners. The land is laid out in a single block surrounding the house and yard.
The farmyard has been added to over the years and now consists of a mix of some stone-built and some modern farm buildings.