Farm Ireland
Independent.ie

Thursday 23 March 2017

Investigation continues into the felling of giant redwood trees in Longford

Ciaran Moran

Ciaran Moran

An investigation is underway by Department of Agriculture figures into the felling of redwood trees in Longford recently.

Following concerns raised in earlier this year, the Department requested that operations would cease onsite, pending investigation.

Operations subsequently recommenced based on an email from the Department to the Contractor in April 2016.

This included an instruction regarding the retention of sequoia (redwood) onsite, unless overriding health and safety concerns arose, in which case, the Department was to be contacted.

The Department says it was not subsequently contacted by the Contractor regarding the felling of sequoia trees.

A report from the Friends of the Irish Environment, dated 9 November 2016, was received by the Department, stating that sequoia were felled on 13 May 2016.

An inspection by the Department on 9 November 2016 found the stumps of three sequoia trees, which appeared to have been felled in spring or very early summer.

Following contact from the Department, it says the Contractor stated that these three sequoia were felled for a number of reasons including they were suppressed by the dominant sequoia overhead and therefore had little or no living crown remaining, they were either dead or dying, they represented a health and safety risk.


The Department says the instruction regarding matter concerning the breach of this instruction is being raised with the Contractor.

Online Editors