Westmeath farmer crowned Aurivo milk supplier of the year
The 10th annual Aurivo Milk Quality Awards recognised the standard of excellence in diary farming by Aurivo suppliers in the region.
The Awards highlight the dedication and commitment of Aurivo milk suppliers for their milk production in 2016. Eight Aurivo milk suppliers were acknowledged for their contribution to dairy farming excellence at the Awards ceremony held at the Radisson Hotel Sligo.
The top award, Aurivo Milk Supplier of the Year, was won by Westmeath farmer David Boland. David milks a herd of 130 Holstein Friesian cows on his 90 hectare farm in Moate.
David, along with his sons Niall and Colin, is committed to quality when it comes to milk and credits their low TBC of 5 to hot washing the milking machine once a day and descaling once a week. David is a former recipient of the lowest TBC award in 2013 and has maintained this level of excellence. The farm is certified by Bord Bia’s Sustainable Dairy Assurance Scheme.
Category award winners
- Lowest TBC Manufacturing Milk & Milk Supplier of the Year: David Boland, Moate, Co. Westmeath
- Lowest annual average SCC: Ger Brennan, Strokestown, Co. Roscommon
- Highest average milk solids with TBC<50 and SCC <250: Pat Murray, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway
- Lowest TBC manufacturing milk: Seán Lynch, Moville, Co. Donegal
- Best New Entrant: Andrew V. McNamee, Convoy, Co.Donegal
- Best supplier in SDAS: Tony McCormack, Longford
- Best Northern Ireland supplier: Gary Young, Castlederg, Co. Tyrone
- Most improved SCC from 2015 to 2016: Patrick O’Boyle, Ballina, Co. Mayo
- Pat Duffy, Chairman of Aurivo, said milk of the highest standard and excellent quality is the core of our foundation at Aurivo.