Profit monitor results leave me with no excuses for not knowing where I stand
The very mild weather in January has us already set up for the first day of spring and last week I walked the grazing block and measured grass covers.
Going on my measuring I have a farm cover of 679. My closing farm cover on November 10 was 576. Paddocks have on average grown grass at 2.5kg DM/ha/day since then.
Ground conditions are good enough, just a bit sticky after some rain.
If conditions remain as they are, although rain is forecast and more cows calve down, cows should see an earlier exit from the house this year.
There is definitely not as much grass cover on the silage ground so I will have to decide whether to graze it with weanlings or not.
Tomorrow also sees the opening of the slurry and fertiliser spreading season for us in Monaghan. I got the fertiliser sower checked over last week. Even though it a fairly new Amazone sower, she wasn't opening and closing properly. Some adjustment had to be made to the rams. There is fertiliser sitting in the shed from last year so everything is good to go.
Urea will be used first. I am getting some soil sampling done this week as it is five years since the last ones were done on the home farm. There is no urgency on slurry spreading yet as most tanks are not full. One of the smaller tanks is filling up but a few loads into another tank will relieve it.
Calving began about three weeks ago. There are about 15 calved. The majority are heifers. I had one heifer that calved a dead calf. She was slow to calve and when I did assist her, the calf was dead. It was a Friesian heifer.