Classic Georgian on a substantial farm
Published 20/05/2015 | 02:30
Ravensdale House on 223ac is one of the more substantial rural properties to come on the market in the greater Dublin area in recent times. The two-storey, over-basement mansion on a tillage and grass farm situated between Leixlip and Maynooth, in Co Kildare, is coming to auction in an executor sale with a guide price of €4m.
The house (pictured above) was built in 1765 by the Duke of Leinster as a Dower house to the nearby Carton Estate.
Earlier records show that a lease of land, including Ravensdale, was granted by the Earl of Kildare and dated February 5, 1708. Over two centuries it passed through several owners until it was bought in 1903 by Major Hugh Wyndham Montgomery who is credited with totally refurbishing the main residence. The current owners' family bought the property in 1917 from Major Montgomery.
Ravensdale is described by Phillip Byrne of selling agents REA Coonans Maynooth as a truly spectacular Georgian home.
The house sits at the end of a long driveway in a mature parkland setting with superb views over its own parkland and extensive countryside. The 223ac of land comprises top quality, free-draining ground which is currently used for tillage and grazing purposes.
Road frontage extending to 1.5km gives access to a separate rear entrance and three separate gate lodges on the estate.
The main residence consists of a two-storey, over-basement house. The ground floor is arranged around a grand reception hall, with a magnificent pitch pine returning staircase and panelled walls.
There are four main reception rooms all of which are light and spacious, with high ceilings and original decorative plasterwork. The reception hall leads to the dining room, billiard room, drawing room and morning room. There is also a cloakroom and a kitchen/pantry on the ground floor. The original features of the house are evident throughout with ornate cornicing, ceiling pieces and fireplaces.