Belgian Blue X steals the show at Roscommon
Published 17/08/2016 | 02:30
Excellent quality weanlings met with a strong trade at the opening Show and Sale of the season at Roscommon Mart where up to €3.56/kg was paid for weanling heifers with a 365kg Belgian Blue X selling for €935 over €1/kg at the sale.
Show manager Maura Quigley described the trade for the weanling bulls as "lively", while heifers met with a "brisk" demand.
"It was mostly farmers who were buying. We had some export interest competing but most of the lots were bought by farmers," she said.
"We had some farmers buying good lots of weanlings. They were making the trade."
There was a good overall clearance, with 86pc of the weanling bulls and 85pc of the weanling heifers on offer being sold.
Prices paid for the bulls ranged from €2.44/kg up to €3.17/kg, while the heifers sold from €2.56/kg up €3.56/kg.
Best Weanling Bull
1. Tommy Joe Maloney, Kiltevna, Dunmore, Co Galway
2. Thomas Flynn, Menlough, Ballinasloe, Co Galway
3.John Hegarty, Gortnadieve, Creggs, Co Roscommon
Best Weanling Heifer
1. Joe Davis, Carraweeney, Williamstown, Co Galway
2. Tommy Joe Maloney, Kiltevna, Dunmore, Co Galway
3. Gerry Miley, Ballyglass, Knockcroghery, Co Roscommon